Improvisation…

On a recent trip to St Louis, my wife and I listened to Tina Fay talk about her life.  We were listening to her audio book Bossypants.  It was all very entertaining, but I found her stories on “improv” very interesting… and I thought I would share what I learned.  I know it sounds a little odd… why would I share little gems about improvisation on this blog?  One answer is that stories from every walk of life can help us reflect and provide insight into our own situations.  My wife’s answer is that I think too much… and that might be just as valid.  You can use your own judgement.

Regardless, I took away the following advice when you are asked to do improvisation.

1. Commit.  Seems simple enough.  You can’t go into improv half way.
  2. Agree.  If someone tells you an apple is really a banana and you say “no it isn’t”, then you’ve just killed the conversation.  This is a partnership in which each party must agree with the other in order to be successful.  No matter where the story goes, you have to go along.
  3. Add value.  If you are told the apple is a banana and you simply reply with a question like “where did you get it?”, you are placing the burden back on your partner to continue the conversation.  On the other hand, if you say “that banana is radioactive”, you’ve added to the story. 
  4. Don’t limit yourself.  After all, this is improv, anything is possible.

OK, so why did I find this relevent to my work with technology?  Because the use of technology is a partnership and its too easy to disagree and kill the conversation.  Its much more rewarding if you can agree with the desired application and add value.  Try to guide the conversation to a successful end.  And don’t limit yourself to existing models and practices, there may be options not yet on the table.  Participate, be positive and be flexible.

Obviously, life is not improv.  We have limitations to what we can do… and we have to ask a lot of questions to understand desired outcomes and applications.  But we can add value and have some fun along the way. :)

Maybe my wife is right…

Comments

1. lESLIE CHARLES says:

Good information Floyd. Another way you could add value is by doing a “walk around” and talking with all us people out here in the trenches.

Regards,

Leslie Charles Coover
    Secretary in Social Work Department

2. “Obviously, life is not improv. We have limitations to what we can do… and we have to ask a lot of questions to understand desired outcomes and applications. But we can add value and have some fun along the way.”

This is what I tell my students. Ask a lot of questions :-)

Speak Your Mind

*