Small Bytes Vol. 79 – Oldies But Goodies

Looking through the archives I found a couple of tips I wanted to remind everyone about…

Did you know?… You can select an entire document by pressing Ctrl-A. Combine that with Ctrl-C (copy) and Ctrl-V (paste) and you have a fast and easy way to select, copy, and paste an entire document more efficiently. And in Microsoft Word, there are easy ways to select an entire word, sentence, and paragraph.

• To select a word, double-click anywhere in the word.
  • To select a sentence, hold the Ctrl key on the keyboard and click anywhere in the sentence. (You must click off the sentence to before you can select another sentence in this manner.)
  • To select a paragraph, quickly click 3 times anywhere in the paragraph.

That’s all for this time. Stay tuned for the next Small Bytes!

Comments

1. Back in 2000 I earned a Microsoft Certification in MS Access. Several months ago I visited with John Haverty and we talked about developing a MS Access knowledge base here on campus. I do not mean to imply that I am an expert in any sense; my certification is very out of date. My reason for talking with John was because I felt like someone on a deserted island when it came to networking support concerning the use of MS Access. I told him about a time while using the program to process close to a hundred graduate applications. A cryptic message came up saying something like “contact your administrator.” Of course, ITS does not support MS Access development so that made me feel even more uncomfortable. I asked John for his thoughts on bringing mentoring and training opportunities to clerical staff concerning the use of MS Access. He asked me to get a list of interested people, I found about six but only 2 showed up (plus Sue Taylor) at the meeting John announced to discuss MS Access. I need to mention that one secretary who often asks me for help concerning MS Access was not interested in attending.

At the meeting we discussed how our departments use the MS database application and how we could establish ways to share information. We came up with one idea: create a forum where interested parties could post questions, answers, comments, suggestions, etc. relating to problems, workarounds, streamlining, etc. in regard to Microsoft Access. Since this meeting nothing has developed and I don’t want to waste John’s time. Why should another forum be established when everyone has access to “Speak Your Mind”? I urge you to share your thoughts on this!

We use MS Access extensively in the SW Department as do several other department’s here at Washburn. Anyone who has ever gone after a MS Certification knows that a great deal of study is required to pass certification (at least for people of average intelligence). I suppose, if I would get a significant increase in salary, I might keep my certifications up, but, realistically—I’m not holding my breath. That said, I believe campus-wide, including clerical and ITS staff, and faculty from diverse curricula, there is probably a great deal of knowledge on this campus apropos to using, developing, and utilizing MS Access. How can we find a way to tap this knowledge and share it with one another?

Finally, I wanted to ask about ARGUS Software. At one point there was a great interest in developing this application which allows, among other things, clerical staff to retrieve different types of data sets from Banner easily and quickly. What happened to this initiative and what are employee’s thoughts on this? I noticed that an ARGUS certificate is available—if we decide to give employees access to ARGUS, could certification be a means to empower employees if the appropriate extrinsic and intrinsic rewards were provided for those who maintained their ARGUS certification?

• Sue Taylor-Owens says:

We appreciate your comment and interest in the mentioned ITS activities. Since this doesn’t pertain directly to this Small Byte, someone from the appropriate areas will continue this conversation with you offline.

Speak Your Mind

*