(This list is not all-inclusive. It only shows those changes that will impact faculty the most.)
Changes to Copy Selected Components
In order to mitigate the risk that large courses may result in a timeout for users, the process is moving to an asynchronous workflow. Moving the selected components workflow into an asynchronous job avoids copy timeouts when you are copying large courses. You are able to start the copy process and check the progress on the History page, which enables you to perform other tasks while the copy process is underway.
Groups – Usability and administration enhancements
Enhancements have been made to the Groups tool that enable learners to join groups more easily, and give instructors and administrators the option to set up and manage groups more efficiently. The enhancements are as follows:
- When creating or editing a group category, the Enrollment Type called # of Groups of # – Self Enrollment has been changed to # of Groups, Capacity of # – Self Enrollment to clarify its usage.
- When creating or editing a group category, a Group Prefix field is now present.
- When creating or editing a group category that supports self enrollment, a Set Self Enrollment Expiry Date option is now available.
- When creating or editing a category, and when Set Self Enrollment Expiry Date is selected, the Allocate unenrolled users after Self Enrollment Expiry Date option can also be selected.
- Once a category and groups with capacities have been created, capacity markers display (in the form x/y where x is the number of enrolled students and y is the capacity).
- Learners can now see the names of the members of each group before they enroll.
- Learners can now leave a group after they have self enrolled if they choose to enroll into a different group.
- When enrolling learners in groups, there is a configurable Advanced Search Options link that opens a custom search and enroll page, if instructors want to use additional data to create groups of learners.
- New configuration variables have been added that can be turned on to enable enhancements.
My Awards tool featuring Badges and Certificates
The new My Awards tool enables Instructors to automatically award Badges and Certificates based on release conditions, or to award or revoke them manually.
To add a new badge to a course, the instructor can complete the New Award page (under Assessments > Awards > Add Award to Course > Create Award) and define the name and description of the award, and set attributes for the award type, sharing, expiry, notification, the location of the image library to use to create the badges, and Issuer information. The image library contains some default icons you can use to create badges and default templates for certificates.
After Badges and Certificates are added, Instructors can click the Edit Properties link under the Award to set the conditions of earning the Award.
Learners can see a list of the awards they have received and the available awards by going to Assessments > My Awards.
News – Recover deleted News items
Users can now restore deleted news items.
User Progress – Better metrics for time viewing topics
In the Summary and Content Progress pages, User Progress contains statistics on the amount of time a learner spends in a content topic. The update to this feature corrects the inaccuracies that can occur when a user session times out or loses connectivity. As a result, the statistics for the amount of time a user spends in a content topic are accurate to the default frequency of 10 minutes. The time spent statistics for other scenarios (such as viewing a content topic and then browsing to the next topic or to another tool) continue to capture the exact duration.
This solution also improves how User Progress tracks time spent in a content topic when the user switches between browser tabs.